Product quantity cannot be greater than 99
Fashion and Apparel
DIY Mermaid Costume
Get ready for Halloween with this DIY Mermaid Costume created using a leggings pattern from Ditto Patterns and the Ditto projection system! In this tutorial you will also learn how to add applique seashells to a t-shirt to go with your mermaid leggings to complete the costume.
Everything you need to complete this project in one place. Use this convenient checklist to ensure you have all required materials in your sewing room, or take it with you while you shop for supplies.
MERMAID LEGGINGS SUPPLIES:
- Ditto Lara Leggings Pattern: Get it here!
- 4-way stretch knit fabric:
- 60” wide folded: 1 ½ yards
- 45” wide folded: 2 ½ yards
- 1 1/4” Elastic (see pattern for length based on size)
- 3/4 yard tulle
- Pins or clips
- Coordinating thread
- Fabric scissors or rotary cutter
- Serger or sewing machine with ballpoint needle
SEASHELL APPLIQUE TOP SUPPLIES:
- The size of your seashells is up to you and will determine how much material you will need. Cotton is recommended for easy sewing and comfortable wear on the t-shirt but you can also use other materials such as felt, fleece, faux leather or vinyl as well.
- T-shirt, tank top, or bodysuit of your choice.
- Paper Backed, Sewable Iron-On Adhesive (double sided)
- Fusible No Show Mesh Iron-On Stabilizer
- Tear Away Light Soft Temporary Stabilizer
- Rayon Thread (this can match or contrast your material)
- 90/14 Universal Sewing Machine needle
- Straight pins
- Marking Pen
- Fabric scissors
- Seashell Pattern (attached for you to download and print out at home. Adjust your printer settings to adjust the size of the seashells you want to use)
- Optional pearl trim to embellish